Educational Science MA
Everything that is human
Aim of the program
A Master of Arts (MA) program in Educational Science is designed to equip students with advanced knowledge and skills for impactful roles in education. The program encompasses a broad array of educational topics, covering theory, practice, and policy. It emphasizes the development of research and critical thinking abilities, the enhancement of pedagogical competence, and the preparation of students for leadership and policy positions within the field. Additionally, students have the flexibility to select specialized areas of study aligned with their career goals. Consequently, the ELTE’s Educational Science MA provides a comprehensive education that integrates theory, research, and practical skills, preparing graduates for diverse and influential roles in education, ranging from schools and universities to governmental authorities, companies, research institutions, private enterprises, public administration, international organizations, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Graduates of the Educational Science MA program can pursue various career settings in the field of education and related sectors, such as:
- Educational Consultant
- Instructional Designer
- Education Policy Analyst
- Educational Technology Specialist
- Educational Researcher
- Education Entrepreneur
- Corporate Trainer
- International Education Coordinator
- Education Journalist
Graduates with a strong research interest can pursue a Ph.D. in Education, conducting advanced research and contributing to the field's knowledge base.
Strengths of the program
The Institute of Education within the Faculty of Education and Psychology at Eötvös Loránd University holds a prominent position as a key institution for educational research in Hungary. Our program boasts strong professional affiliations with various institutions and schools, providing valuable internship prospects for our students. The synergy between academic excellence and practical experience positions our graduates for success in the dynamic field of education.
Facts & Figures
Duration of the programme: 2 years (4 semesters)
Credit number: 120 ECTS
Type: master, full-time
Tuition fee: 2900 EUR/semester
Check our infographic about the application procedure!
Applicants must hold a university Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent college degree) in the fields listed below, or a university Master’s degree:
Full acknowledgement is given for the following degrees:
- Bachelor’s degree in Andragogy
- Bachelor’s degree in Teacher education
- Bachelor’s degree in Primary School Teacher Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Pre-School Teacher Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Infant and Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Education, Special Education, Social Pedagogy
Conditionally accepted Bachelor’s degrees which will be considered in the first place:
any Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme in case the applicant possesses 50 credits in the following fields: pedagogical, psychological, philosophical and ethical studies; adult education studies; communicational science; health science; sociology, anthropology, political sciences; economic and legal studies.
If the applicant is taking their final examination during the current semester, and their degree certificate (diploma) is not issued before the last application deadline, a certification is required issued by the institution, which verifies that the applicant will presumably receive a degree at a specific date. In case of being accepted as a student, however, the applicant must present the diploma upon enrolment at the latest.
This programme is not available for Hungarian citizens.
The language of instruction for the entire programme is English, so a very good command of English is required during the oral entrance exam and throughout the whole programme. The language knowledge is assessed and evaluated during the interview, the Faculty of Education and Psychology doesn't require an official language certificate.
The educational and outcome requirements are defined by the Ministry of Human Capacities (Regulation No. 18/2016. (VIII. 5.)). The details of the application and admission process are defined by the Organisational and Operational Regulations of ELTE.
The application starts on the online application system. Students need to register in the system, fill in the online application form, upload the required documents and follow the instructions during the application process.
Students must upload all the required documents in the online application system, and after adding all the required documents, submit it.APPLY NOW
List of application documents
Following documents need to be submitted in the online application system:
- degree certificate (sealed, signed and dated diploma)
- transcript of records of the last two years (sealed, signed and dated diploma)
- an official English translation of the certificate and the records, all sealed, signed and dated (Details: The translation is needed only if the language of the originals is not English. It can be a translation from the university, too.)
- motivation letter: Applicants are required to submit a motivation letter within the range of 1500 to 2000 characters. This letter should articulate their reasons for wanting to study in Hungary, specifically in Budapest, at the university, faculty, and the chosen program. The motivation letter should detail the applicant's introduction to education science, demonstrate their suitability for the program, specify their desired specialization, outline their future plans, and highlight the program's relevance to those plans. Applicants are encouraged to be specific and connect their personal experiences to the benefits offered by the program.
- a reference work: In addition to the motivation letter and the transcript of grades, applicants are required to submit a reference work within the field of education science, written in English. This reference work can take various forms, such as an excerpt from a BA thesis, a research paper, a seminar paper, a research report, a published journal article, a book chapter, a case study, or a literature review, among others. Applicants have the flexibility to submit either a new paper or an improved version of a previous work for the current application. The preferred length for this reference work is between 5-15 pages, excluding references and appendices. There are no specific formatting requirements. Applicants are expected to demonstrate their familiarity with the academic genre and style of the discipline, including the use of academic language and style, research design and methods, and statistical analyses when applicable. Furthermore, it is important to support arguments with relevant academic literature. The admissions committee looks for evidence of reasonable, rational, and critical thinking in applicants' work.
- main pages of the passport
- proof of transfer of the application fee - 120 EUR (non-refundable)
- proof of transfer of the entrance exam fee - 120 EUR (non-refundable)
The application and the entrance exam fee can be paid separately or in one amount as well.
Both fees should be transferred to the following account:
- Name of Bank: Magyar Államkincstár (Hungarian State Treasury)
- Address of Bank: Budapest, Váci út 71, Hungary – 1139
- Holder of the account: Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem
- Account No.: 10032000-01426201-00000000
- SWIFT Code: HUSTHUHB
- IBAN Number: HU03 1003 2000 0142 6201 0000 0000
On the transfer order please put down your full name and “AB01 B102 B10201/18”!
Procedure of the entrance examination
The entrance process includes a free discussion about the applicant’s background, motivation, prior work and future plans. Successful applicants must have a good command of English and pass the entrance exam. The entrance exam can be taken in person or via Teams (you do not need to download the app).
Please find more information about the curriculum and the course descriptions HERE.
Meet our students
Study in Hungary
- What about to learn more about Eötvös Loránd University? Find all necessary information about ELTE for our prospercive students!
- Would you like to study in Hungary? You are at the right place here!
- Are you interested in scholarships? Good idea -- Click here!
- Perfect choice: Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People or Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship.