Everything that is human
Aim of the program
Our aim is to train psychologist professionals who master the theories and methods at an advanced level. Graduates should be proficient in the various fields of the disciplines, possessing skills and techniques of the psychologist profession and are able to apply them to help and develop individuals, groups or organizations.
Strengths of the program
- practice-based programme
- 20+ research groups and labs are waiting for young researchers
- professional preparedness
- administrative capacity to help facilitate student life
- exchange opportunities to more than 70 partner universities
- 7 specialisations available
Facts & Figures
Duration of the program: 2 years (4 semesters)
Credit number: 120 ECTS
Type: master, full-time
Tuition fee: 4200 EUR/semester
Check our infographic about the application procedure!
Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or Psychology-related Sciences. However, full credit acknowledgement is given only for a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. In the case of a Psychology-related Sciences degree, each degree will be considered individually, and transcripts from your Bachelor's degree as well as course descriptions will be requested.
If the applicant is taking their final examination during the current semester, and their degree certificate (diploma) is not issued before the last application deadline, a certification is required issued by the institution, which verifies that the applicant will presumably receive a degree at a specific date. In case of being accepted as a student, however, the applicant must present the diploma upon enrolment at the latest.
This programme is not available for Hungarian citizens.
The language of instruction for the entire programme is English, so a very good command of English is required during the oral entrance exam and throughout the whole programme. The language knowledge is assessed and evaluated during the interview, the Faculty of Education and Psychology doesn't require an official language certificate.
The educational and outcome requirements are defined by the Ministry of Human Capacities (Regulation No. 18/2016. (VIII. 5.)). The details of the application and admission process are defined by the Organisational and Operational Regulations of ELTE.
The application starts on the online application system. Students need to register in the system, fill in the online application form, upload the required documents and follow the instructions during the application process.
Students must upload all the required documents in the online application system, and after adding all the required documents, submit it.APPLY NOW
List of application documents
Following documents need to be submitted in the online application system:
- degree certificate (sealed, signed and dated diploma)
- transcript of records of the last two years (sealed, signed and dated)
- an official English translation of the certificate and the records, all sealed, signed and dated (Details: The translation is needed only if the language of the originals is not English. It can be a translation from the university, too.)
- a reference work (It can be any paper written in English by the applicant within the field of psychology (BA thesis extract, a research paper, a seminar paper, a research report, a published journal article or a book chapter, a case study, a literature review, etc.) Either a new paper or an improved version of an earlier work can also be written for the current application. The ideal length should be between 5-15 pages excluding references and the appendices. There are no special requirements concerning the format. You should show that you are familiar with the discipline’s academic genre and style (using adequate vocabulary, using statistics) and that you always support your argument with academic literature. You do not need to be original or already a professional, just show reasonable, rational and critical thinking.
- motivation letter (The letter should contain approximately 2000 characters. You should explain their experiences and ideas, how you met psychology and why you thought this profession would be suitable for you, what your aim is with the MA degree, how you would imagine your career, which area you are interested in, what further studies you are planning and which specialisation you would like to apply for, what do you think, how our programme is connected to your future plans. Please, be always specific and try to connect your own ideas and experience to what we can offer you through our programme.)
- main pages of the passport
- proof of transfer of the application fee - 120 EUR (non-refundable)
- proof of transfer of the entrance exam fee - 120 EUR (non-refundable)
The application and the entrance exam fee can be paid separately or in one amount as well.
Both fees should be transferred to the following account:
- Name of Bank: Magyar Államkincstár (Hungarian State Treasury)
- Address of Bank: Budapest, Váci út 71, Hungary – 1139
- Holder of the account: Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem
- Account No.: 10032000-01426201-00000000
- SWIFT Code: HUSTHUHB
- IBAN Number: HU03 1003 2000 0142 6201 0000 0000
On the transfer order please put down your full name and “AB01 B102 B10208/18”!
Procedure of the entrance examination
The entrance exam consist of three parts.
The applicant is expected to talk about their motivation, earlier psychological studies, future plans besides the reference work submitted in the application.
Then, a discussion follows about an academic psychology-related article, which the applicant receives one hour prior to the interview. The article is from a field of the chosen specialisation. For example, in case of Clinical and Health Psychology Specialisation, the article will be about a research in that area. The applicant has one hour to read the article and make notes. Any additional help can be used (e.g. a dictionary). Then the examiner will start a discussion about the article and may ask the applicant to summarise it and will ask several questions:
- about its content
- about the methodology
- about the results and their application
- what could be improved
- what would be a suitable next step in the research.
During the entrance exam emphasis is laid on the the applicant' theoretical background, critical methodological analysis, statistical procedures, knowledge of the relevant vocabulary, placing of the results within the relevant field of research.
Finally, the interview gives room for questions coming from the applicant.
Successful applicants must have a good command of English and pass the entrance exam.
The entrance exam can be taken in person or via Teams (you do not need to download the app).
Please find more information about the curriculum and the course descriptions HERE.
Meet our students
Study in Hungary
- What about to learn more about Eötvös Loránd University? Find all necessary information about ELTE for our prospercive students!
- Would you like to study in Hungary? You are at the right place here!
- Are you interested in scholarships? Good idea -- Click here!
- Perfect choice: Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People or Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship.