Everything that is human
Aim of the program
The programme is for students who wish to pursue a research-oriented career, and are interested in carrying out distinguished scholarly activities: have original, independent and critical thinking, and are able to develop research-based knowledge in their field of specialisation. It promotes acquisition of advanced skills for academic research, and gives academic teaching practice.
Strengths of the program
- the Institute of Psychology is one of the main institutions of Hungarian psychological education and research
- good professional relations including major Hungarian research institutes
- 6 doctoral programmes with a wide variety of research focus
- professional preparedness
- administrative capacity to help facilitate student life
Facts & Figures
- Duration of the programme: 4 years (4+4 semesters)
- Credit number: 252 ECTS
- Type: doctoral, full-time
- Language: English
- Tuition fee: 4900 EUR/semester
Check our infographic about the application procedure!
If the applicant takes their final examination during the current semester, and their degree certificate (diploma) is not issued before the application deadline, a certification is required issued by the institution which verifies that the applicant will presumably receive a degree at a specific date. In case of being accepted as a student, however, the applicant must present the diploma with at least good average upon enrolment at the latest.
This programme is not available for Hungarian citizens.
The language of instruction for the entire programme is English, so a very good command of English is required during the oral entrance exam and throughout the whole programme. The language knowledge is assessed and evaluated during the interview.
The educational requirements are defined by the Ministry of Human Capacities (Ministerial Decree 387/2012. (XII. 19.). The details of the application and admission process are defined by the Organisational and Operational Regulations of ELTE.
- Cognitive Psychology
- Behavioural Psychology
- Personality and Health Psychology
- Socialization and Psychology of Social Processes
- Clinical Psychology and Addiction
- Sports and Health Psychology
The application starts on the online application system. Students need to register in the system, fill in the online application form, upload the required documents and follow the instructions during the application process.
Students must upload all the required documents in the online application system, and after adding all the required documents, submit it.APPLY NOW
List of application documents
Following documents need to be submitted in the online application system.
- Master's degree (sealed, signed and dated)
- an official English translation of the MA certificate (sealed, signed and dated)
- The translation is needed only if the language of the original is not English. It can be a translation from the university, too.
- research plan outline: You need to have an elaborated research plan, approximately 3-4 page-long including the research idea, methodology, timing, and literature.
- motivation letter
- reference work: It can be any academic paper written in English by the applicant within the field of psychology (MA thesis extract, a research paper, a seminar paper, a research report, a published journal article or a book chapter, a case study, a literature review, etc.) Either a new paper or an improved version of an earlier work can also be written for the current application. The ideal length should be between 5-15 pages excluding references and the appendices. There are no special requirements concerning the format.
- main pages of the passport
- a list of publications (not obligatory)
- recommendations (not obligatory)
- supervisor statement from potential future supervisor: it is recommended to upload a document signed by a supervisor of the doctoral school of in which s/he understakes the duties of being your supervisor. Click here to find supervisors.
- proof of transfer of the application fee - 120 EUR (copy) (non-refundable)
- proof of transfer of the entrance exam fee - 120 EUR (copy) (non-refundable)
The application and the entrance exam fee should be transferred to the following account:
- Name of Bank: Magyar Államkincstár (Hungarian State Treasury)
- Address of Bank: Budapest, Váci út 71, Hungary – 1139
- Holder of the account: Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem
- Account No.: 10032000-01426201-00000000
- SWIFT Code: HUSTHUHB
- IBAN Number: HU03 1003 2000 0142 6201 0000 0000
On the transfer order please put down your full name and “AB01 B104 B10406/18”!
May 25th 23:59 (CET)
Procedure of the entrance examination
The entrance exam is an interview, based on the applicant’s research plan. The aim of the interview is to see whether the research topic of the candidate fits the profile of the doctoral programme. The exam is approximately a 30 minute-long conversation with the head of the doctoral programme and other professors about the research plan, its feasibility, and the candidate’s previous academic path (publications, results, research). It can be taken in person or via Teams (you do not need to download the application).
Please find more information about the curriculum and the course descriptions HERE.
Meet our students
Study in Hungary
- What about to learn more about Eötvös Loránd University? Find all necessary information about ELTE for our prospercive students!
- Would you like to study in Hungary? You are at the right place here!
- Are you interested in scholarships? Good idea -- Click here!
- Perfect choice: Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People, or Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship.